2014-02-10

NO EXPECTATIONS

I heard the following thing:

Have no expectations. This way you will not be disappointed.

"WHATEVER!" was my first thought. How on earth would that work. You simply can not NOT have any expectations. No matter how I looked at it, it simply didn't feel true. It was impossible. I got rather upset about it. How could somebody utter something so unbelieveable stupid and believe they said something profound? I simply couldn't let it go. I mused about it for days. Finally it dawned on me. It was kind of like Einstein's "Theory of relativity". In school they all claimed they understood. I was the only who admitted that I couldn't for the life of me imagine 2 spaceships without a point of reference. There is ALWAYS a point of reference. I felt it was the same with expactations. There are ALWAYS expectations. 

I decided to give it a try. Man. It was hard. It made me see one thing. My expectations really can ruin an expirience for me. Instead of simply enjoying the moment, I would wait for my expectations to be fulfilled. Learning that helped me to have fewer expectations, or lower expectations.

Today was a day with high expectations. I would clean for 2 hours, get rid of 5 things. The surface of the day would be tackled and I would start out on decluttering the whole house. Well. Gues what. It didn't work out. By 2 pm I decided to let it go. I erased my expectations. And I was happy. I decided I would be a relaxed happy mom. Around 5:30 I felt a pang of guilt for not living up to my expectations. I told James and he made me feel like it was perfectly fine to not fullfill them. And I was able to let it go again.

This is what I did instead. Trust me. These babies exceeded my expectatiosn BY FAR!




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen