2014-01-19

EXOTIC

My friend Alex, who knows about my "little problem" and who's real name I know, has no problem with my problem. Because she too, has hoarding tendencies. I rarely was at her house. It wasn't hoarded in my opinion, but most likely that was due to her moving every couple of years because of her job. The first time something struck me as odd was when one time, as I was over at her house I saw 3 bags of kids clothes sitting on her coffee table. Right were I had dropped them off about 4 weeks earlier. She defintiely had not gone through them. The bags were untouched. Why would anyone leave those sitting in the middle of the room like that? The only person I knew who acted that strangely was myself! So I told myself if I acted that way it couldn't be all that strange.

When I realized I was a hoarder I talked to her about it. I knew she wouldn't judge me. The only comment she had was that she could relate because she had a hoarding mom and hoarding tendecies herself.

The other day she called me. She had a question. About a ceramic dish. A neighbour had given it to her when she lived in my neck of the woods. She explained to me that she was in the process of decluttering. She liked the dish. It was exotic. She knew it was a dish to prepare food in, but wasn't sure how to use it. I couldn't help her. But I thought I could be helpful in some other way. I pointed out that here was a dish she had dragged with her for years. She moved it at least 3 times. She had never used it. Nor did she know how to use it. I pointed out to her that she was investing time and energy to find a reason to be allowed to keep an item that only has one thing speaking for it. An exotic flair. She did admit I had a point. I suggested she'd put it in the "out" pile. I wonder if she did. I'll have to ask her.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen