2014-01-17

START WITH THE END

When I dehoard a corner these days I worry less about what is there, but more about what I want there. My philosophy is, whether it is stuck in that corner or stuffed into a box, a bag or a drawer doesn't matter. But getting that drawer or shelf organized to optimize my daily rountines makes a huge difference in my life.

I empty the place I want organized, clean it and then create OCD worthy efficency. When I feel truely heroic I deal with the stuff I took out. Why don't I deal with it at the start? Because I know my self well enough. I will tear things apart. Churn until I am dizzy. Feel incapable. Frustrated. Stupid. Around that time I will grab the things that I took out. Stuff them back where they were and lament about my frustrating situation. I will have wasted half an hour or even half a day and will have achieved nothing.

Dealing with the original content AFTER I am done creating perfection is a lot better for me. Because even if I don't deal with it and just hide it somewhere I have something to show for the time invested. I have a well organized shelf/drawer that is functional. I do pretty well with keeping my organized corners clean. I also do well going through them regularly, getting rid of things that snuck in there.

So I start where people who don't hoard end. Because if I try to start with getting rid of things I'll never get anywhere. Dealing with it while still high on having another corner of my house organized I have far more courage to face those things I still am not ready to part with. And I am far more willing to part with them!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen