2014-09-10

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

There is this hoarder forum where I hang out and get my spirits lifted when I am low. Today a new member joined. Very dispirited, asking for advice on how to get started. One of our experienced members among other things said that everything takes practice. And when you sit on the couch doing nothing you get better at doing nothing.

OUCH!!!!

That hit home. Really. I mean, how true is that!? I never looked at it this way. I am practicing AVOIDANCE! I am practicing the very thing that I know has kept me from being successful all those years. I got all fidgety, jumped up from the couch, ran around in circles and finally allowed myself to calm down. Time to practice something else. Our coat room, my very personal nemesis, as all the things that come into the house kind of find a "final resting place" there,was my training turf. I decided to just go and deal with one item after the other. Kind of a slow motion clean up I guess. So I cheated a little. A few things simply got transferred to the third dresser but all in all I did a good job. 

I found Christmas cards, a 7 month old birthday card, I found things the kids had told me they wanted to keep in June or July and they were still lying there. I decided if it has been lying here for 2 full months now and nobody cared to retrieve it, I can just as well get rid of it. Nobody will ever miss it. I went through 4 of the drawers. Cleaned them out. The only things allowed back in are things that actually belong in there. I also realized that I have an EMPTY DRAWER in that chest. Can you imagine? And empty drawer in a hoarder's house?

I am not done yet. But getting done was not the point of the "exercise". The point was to DO something. To be active. All in all it went well. I'll have another "work out" tomorrow!


surface of the day: 4 drawers, top of 2 dressers

7 a day: kid's art, paper, admission tickets for all kinds of places, 2 rings,

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen