2014-04-25

DAY 5 - CHURNING

Today I set myself a task that inevitable leads to churning. Going through the dreadful boxes that came up from the laundry room. And I guess while I am at it go through the ones by my bed, too. Why does this lead to churning? Because usually those boxes are full of stuff I am not sure how to deal with. Stuff I just can't throw away, or don't know where to put it. So far I have gone from 6 boxes to 3. I see that as a partial success.

I found a piece of paper for health insurance to get some money back that I wouldn't even have attempted to look for as I was sure it was lost or good. I got rid of a pile of broken things, papers and wrappers. (I am not sure how they end up in boxes in the first place instead of going straight to the trash.)

I hate this part of decluttering. The contents of the boxes are usually of the following origin:

  • emergency clean up: everything was stuffed into a basket and the basket hidden from sight
  • normal clean up with some left overs that I didn't know where to put so they ended up in a box "to be dealt with later"
  • stuff I have sorted through before on which I couldn't decide.
The first category is the easiest. The second is hard and the third is very frustrating. There is usually a reason I didn't want to deal with the stuff in the first place. Progress was slow but progress none the less. I think I will turn to some real cupboards and drawers tomorrow for a change of scenery. 

surface of the day: the dreaded boxes

7 a day: Random pieces of junk, more random piece of junk and even more random pieces of junk!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen